Friday, June 10, 2016

Birth Story of Cooper Tenzyn

This week I attended a very special birth - my last birth as a doula.

I met Lynsay and Pacey in 2014, when they were pregnant with Ames. They had been referred to me through their midwife, Michele.  The connection I felt with Lyns and Pace was instant, I was honored to have been a part of their first birth and I was thrilled when I noticed an Instagram post in January of this year with the hashtag #18weeks.  I may or may not have been somewhat stalking them, wondering if they were working on baby #2 yet.

Lynsay and Pacey are so chill about things, we met to talk about the birth of their second baby and to come up with a bit of a plan, I let them know that I had some conflicts around their due date and they weren't concerned at all, we would just wing it and if it was meant to be it would be.

Lynsay's due date came and went, much like it did with Ames, so did a pretty serious heat wave. No one wants to be 40 weeks pregnant in that kind of heat but Lyns just rolled with it.  I checked in with them every day to see how they were holding up and the answer was also the same, they were great and knew they would meet this baby when baby was good and ready.

On the morning of the big day I got a text message from Pacey letting me know things were starting, mild contractions 6-8 minutes apart, and Lynsay was coasting through them.  I decided to head over sooner rather than later, just in case things got going quickly.  It took me about an hour to make my way over and when I arrived contractions had sped up, coming every 3 minutes or so and Lynsay was doing great, smiling, chatting and cracking jokes, she even had time for a bit of a snuggle with Ames while they waited for his ride. She wandered the house, holding her first born and breathing through each contraction like a boss!

Midwives Michele and Kaitlyn arrived about 20 minutes after I did, Michele did a quick exam and we started to fill the pool so Lynsay could get in and get a bit of relief from her contractions.  As usual, the water did its magic and Lynsay got into the zone, riding out each contraction as it came, taking them one at a time and completely relaxing in between. Pacey was a rock and cheered her on the entire time. Their connection, and their love for each other is a pretty cool thing to be witness to.



After a short time in the pool the decision was made to break Lynsay's water to help move things along and almost immediately after, Lynsay started to sound like she was ready to push.  Michele let Lynsay know she was ok to just trust her body and to go ahead and push if that's what she felt like she needed to do.

6 minutes later (yes you read that right, 6 minutes) Lynsay reached down and pushed her baby boy out into her own hands. It was incredible and perfect and pretty freaking awe inspiring.



It was an incredible note to end on, a truly lovely home birth, with truly amazing people.

Welcome to the world Cooper. Your life will be full of love and light.


Cooper Tenzyn 8lbs 8oz

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Why is it your last birth? If you don't mind me asking. xoxox

    ReplyDelete